|DANGEROUS !!!!THIS LAMP WILL HARM YOU !|
|Genre:||Health, Mind & Body|
This lamp may harm your health ….
This is a 320 page survey written by a Greek journalist that discusses the facts of the compact fluorescent lamps (or CFL as I will notice below in the text ) together with their shortcomings and danger in human /animal health and the environment. These CFL lamps by advertisement are supposed to save the energy and the greenhouse effect by reducing the energy consumption caused by the standard (incandescent )lamps . As advertised , they consume the 1/5th of the energy of the standard lamps with a ‘supposed’ lifespan of 10 times the standard bulbs.
The name of the book is ‘the deception of the energy consuming lamps’ is actually an e-book , written in Greek , of a total of 320 pages in A4 format though it is easily read in A5 format , such as my e-reader
This book is possibly the best answer for not buying the dangerous CFLs. This survey is a news collections from various sources including books and material he found in the internet. Also notice that under the EEC directive incandescent lamps are banned to produce after 2009 leaving CFL as the main lamps fo trade and consumption
A little about this e-book:
In the first part is includes in condensed form all drawbacks of these lamps the second part goes into more details about these drawbacks with nearly full material from the various sources
It seems there is a kind of ‘conspiracy’ between EEC and China / India for the production of the (CFL ) . Most European lamp makers already stopped production of incandescent lamps as 'energy hungry' and these two Asian countries will held all production of CFL for Europe . BTW the author insists that both Asian countries are on the black list of producing 'dirty' mercury which is very dangerous for the human health
Drawbacks of these lamps
In order not to consume more space , I will get directly into the drawbacks of these lamps:
1. Their real life is actually lower than the 10 x as advertised
2. Incompatible with dimmers and roof ventilators (for the latter due to vibration)
3. Production of harmonics (does not occur in incandescent lamps)
4. Possible UV harmonics can cause interference to electronic devices
5. Not harmonized frequency spectrum .
6. Tubes include not only mercury (one of the most toxic mineral in the planet ) but also many other very toxic minerals
7. Flickering (trembling of light ) can cause migraines ,headaches, epilepsy etc
8. Melatonin is destroyed This can cause effects on the skin and the health of the humans (if not animals )
9. Lamps in their end of their life cause the PCB and the circuit to burn . This causes toxic smog to occur
10. Mercury is nearly impossible to be cleansed , in case the lamp breaks and mercury leaks in the room . At least a space of 3x3 sq m is contaminated should a CFL in the roof break!
11. The mercury contained in the lamp though below 4 mmg , can contaminate a tank of water of 190 tons
12. Possible effects of teeth decay due to mercury
13. A test was made in USA with several kinds of lamps and direct solar illumination in schools . Students working in the room with solar lighting had the best learning levels while the students under fluorescent lighting had the worst results …. (in terms of learning and behavior )
14. People with depression might have enhanced conditions of depression
15. Their radiation neutralizes the quality of food (vitamins and flavor) .Vitamin C level in transparent bottles in ca 24hrs drops to 0.1% of its original value. The best solution to this are aluminum foil enhanced packing
16. Sensitivity in People with electric sensitivity greatly increases under the lamp radiation
17. Dangerous for children and pregnant due to bad illumination /radiation
18. The change of lighting conditions can surely change the chemical process of humans and animals
19. Their production except that is very polluting increases the greenhouse effect due to the design of the electronic circuit and its components
20. Lamp should stay always upright or the circuitry will burn
21. Don’t use it outdoor especially in cold climates . The lifespan will reduce significantly
22. Lifespan will also reduce if frequently switched on and off .Another important factor is to keep switched on at least 15 minutes in order to gain its full illumination
23. About 5 minutes at leasr are required for the lamp to fully gain its lighting . And then at least 20 minutes to operate in orderno t to have any problems with its operation
In case a lamp breaks
Due to mercury , should a lamp break , you have to collect all glasses using plastic gloves and put into a glass container for toxic waste recycling .
DO NOT USE VACCUM !!!
Any other nearby material including carpets should be sent for for toxic waste recycling
A case is referred in the book in Maine USA. After a CFL broke , the housekeeper asked a company to cleanse the room. Te company required for ca US$2000 for doing it , but the woman after some legal battle ,won the case as the company not only cleaned the room but also removed the rugs !!
Read on http://www.maine.gov/dep/rwm/homeowner/cflreport/cflreport.pdf (did not check n this 200+ pg report but must be included) Her is a partial listing on what is required :
• Leaving the area/room and waiting 15 minutes after breakage before returning to begin cleaning up (mercury levels in the air will have fallen from their highest levels by then);
• Using a glass container, metal screw top lid with a seal, such as a canning jar, to contain the lamp pieces, powder, and cleanup materials;
• Immediately removing the lamp breakage from the home once containerized, especially if the homeowner did not have a glass container with a good seal;
• Continue ventilating the room for several hours;
• Suggesting that homeowners consider removal of the area of carpet where the breakage occurred as a precaution, particularly in homes with infants, small children or pregnant women;
• If carpet is not removed, the homeowner should consider ventilating the room during vacuuming for the next several vacuuming events;
• Suggesting that homeowners consider not utilizing fluorescent lamps in situations where they could easily be broken, in bedrooms used by infants, small children, or pregnant women, or over carpets in rooms frequented by infants, small children and pregnant women; and
• Avoiding the storage of too many used/spent lamps before recycling as that could increase the chances of breakage.
Also look at these 3 other very good guides for more information for cleanup : (2-3 pages each Siera 's is in column format )
Possibly the best you can do is to use again incandescent lamps or better use other alternative low energy lamps as LED type
This page shows the highlights
Why use LED lighting
· LEDs are better energy efficiency over incandescent bulbs and most halogen bulbs, Saving energy 80% to 90%
· LEDs are very long operating life (up to 100,000 hours)
· Low voltage DC operation (12V AC/DC) or Mains voltage operation (Input voltage between AC 85V and AC265V, Or any voltage for customized design.)
· Cool light output (no UV or heat energy)
· Narrow, medium and wide angle lenses
· Any combination of lighting colors (Warm White (2700K to 3500k), Natural white (4000k~4500k), Daylight white / Cool White (5500K to 6500K, it is equivalent to natural sunlight in color), Amber, Orange, Pink, Red, Cyan, Blue, Royal Blue, Green)
· RoHS (1)Compliant / Pb-free (2)Reflow Soldering Available
(1)Restriction of the Use of Certain Hazardous Substances in Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2008
In the next article I refer to some of my experiences as a seller of these lamps after 90s