|Category:||Computers & Electronics|
|Product Type:||DVD Players|
The IQ Zion was by chance taken, when I looked for a MP4 player in my favorite hypermarket store which is located outside the city.The mains reason was to use as a new ‘walkman’ that uses the newer MP4 technology and I supposed that MP4 was to mean also to audio …. Its package shown a MP4 compatible gadget
In a previous review , IQ is an end distributor with OEM Products from ……air conditioners to mini electronic equipment and accessories
The main features of this mini player are :
-Xvid (??)AVI player
-Txt viewer (for e books )
-about 2 inches of TFT screen with quite good resolution
Unpacking it , shows a mini mobile phone shape with 4+1 buttons in black colors . Though it is supposed to be used laterally , the correct way is to use horizontally
In it packing the followings are available:
-The Zion player a black colored face with aluminum frame and plastic back
-Special earphones with 1.2 mm diameter, incompatible with the standard earphones. I did not checked for plug adaptor.
-Standard to mini USB cable
- User guide and guarantee in Greek and English
- Mains adaptor used together with the USB cable adaptor for feeding from mains
- A mini CD with programs to convert files into other formats
Windows XP immediately recognized the Zion as a new hardware without any installation from CD and played as a plug and play device . Upon finishing the installation process , it was recognized as removable disk . as expected
-Its screen is about 2 inches , quite good for most use and very clear picture
-Greek language was used by default . Arial characters with 9 picas.
The modes are separate :
-music player: navigation in the songs si made with the < and > buttons , menu returns back to the main menu
-FM radio : on the top there’re are the basic radio modes ie manual or auto scanning , preset memories or memory store modes .There is also the ability to record from radio by holding the AB button for about 2 secs Have made a recording but id not analyzed the results so far
-Picture viewer : supporting JPg and GIF files
-Video mode :
-Navigation mode with ability to delete any files
-Text mode for reading e-books . Did not checked it
-Settings mode adjusting screen etc . Did not checked it more
See picturs at the end of this page
And here are my results: upon installing the player (without installing the supported CD )
1. The player plays only MP3 and WMA (did not had any encrypted WMA for testing ). Unfortunately the small ear socket does not allow to use any other earphones for testing. Ogg and MP4 audio files were not supported
1a. greek language is supported as interface . Did not tested for greek files vbut seemed to support them
2. The audio with its earphones , especially for FM, is relatively bassy and seems little ‘tuby’ . On MP3 the sound is little better.
Spectrogram of white noise files in MP3 and WMA was still quite linear.
Also , using cable adaptor for connection to computer and listening via the standard headphones , showed nearly HiFi audio for FM listening.
Theare above two cases make me think that the manufacturer uses inappropriate earphones for this player
3. Radio : Of relatively medium sensitivity . The recorded audio sent to computer for analysis had better fidelity.
3. The picture viewer supports both GIF and JPG files. But not all pictures are viewable
At least , EXIF based JPGs , even lower size converted , are recognized
4. Avi Xvid is the supported video mode , as referred in the leaflet . But using one of my converters none of the most common Avi sub-formats (Mp4 , xvid , div-x ) were played …. Too bad .It seems that the program offered in the installation CD offers a tailor made Avi
5. Onwe that i didnot test was the file transfer speed > i used only samll files for some basic testing
I expected to use it as an MP4 audio player, but I was totally disappointed for the follweing three reasons:
- MP4 is just term for advertisement !!
- No MP4 audio
- I needed to install the installation CD in order to convert the files into the supported Avi file , that is not a standard format (as far as i tested )
For these two reasons I returned ti back to the seller looking for a better and more compatible model .
In contrast, is quite good multimedia player with more capabilities than the classical Ipods (text and radio arte two )
And here are several pictures of the player :
Here is the player in horizontal view . All the indications are made in horizontal
All operations are shwn above . The naviagationis made with he >> and the << buttons
And here are as far as posible the opratrion of tetris ,the built in game . I Personally diaslike palying games
and here is the base point of the player .
-The 1.2 mm audio plug , very thin for the standard earphone plugs , that requires adaptor , that does not always do its job
- the on off buton
- the USB connector